menu Home
Local News

Firefighters respond to overnight garage fire near Sugarcreek

| March 6, 2024

SUGARCREEK (WJER) (March 6, 2024)  –  Sugarcreek firefighters were sent to a blaze involving a detached garage overnight east of the village

Fire Chief John Meek says the fire in the 7100 block of Roy Andrews Road Northwest was reported around 2 a.m. Wednesday by the homeowner who woke up to barking dogs.

The garage was already fully involved when firefighters arrived. Firefighters remained on scene for an hour and 30 minutes in all.

He says firefighters had to be cautious of some propane tanks being stored inside the garage, but nobody was injured.

Meek believes the fire was caused by batteries that were left on a charger too long in one corner of the garage.

Meek says the owners had a lot of different auto body tools in the garage, which was a total loss. He’s putting the damage estimate at $20,000.

Dover, Dundee, and Baltic fire departments also responded.

Written by