DOVER (WJER) (January 12, 2024) – A state program that covers the cost for property owners to tear down vacant buildings will continue in 2024.
Dover officials are seeking local applicants for the building demolition and site revitalization program. The Ohio Department of Development will pay to have the selected commercial and residential buildings torn down. Mayor Shane Gunnoe says the deadline to apply is Feb. 23 at 4 p.m.
“They are properties that are vacant maybe have started to fall into disrepair and the owner would be winning to tear them down and essentially repurpose that land for a more productive use for the owner,” Gunnoe said.
Gunnoe says several property owners in Dover took advantage of the program last year.
One’s been rebuilt with new house and others have plans for that land,” Gunnoe said. “It’s a great program for the state of Ohio and we’re just trying to make sure everybody has the opportunity to apply.”
To be eligible, a building must be vacant for six months.
Apply by contacting Dover’s Building and Zoning Department at 330-343-6740.
The program is offered countywide, with $500,000 total available.
“This year we will be ranking those applications as we send them into the county, and the county will make the decision on how many of those projects in each municipality gets funded,” Gunnoe said.