MONDAY, AUGUST 31, 2105
BUSTER CLARK ARGUING TO PULL PLEA
NEW PHILADELPHIA - A former Uhrichsville area man facing murder charges in Harrison County is explaining why he should have his guilty plea withdrawn for a separate offense. Prior to being indicted for the murder of 26-year old Dustin Moreland of Dennison, 52-year old Wesley “Buster” Clark plead guilty in June to an escape charge for failing to return to the Tuscarawas County jail from a medical furlough. Clark, acting as his own attorney during a court hearing Monday, presented evidence including newspaper photos and signature comparisons trying to show he had been under the influence of 18 sleeping pills he obtained from another jail inmate when he plead guilty. Public Defender Mark Perlaky, who served as Clark’s attorney June 15th, says Clark showed no signs of impairment that day and Clark surprised him by wanting to plead guilty for what had only been a scheduled pre-trial in the case. Assistant Prosecutor Amanda Miller says the medical reports and drug screenings also gave no indication Clark was treated for an apparent overdose attempt that morning. Judge Elizabeth Thomakos is expected to issue a written ruling on the plea withdrawal request sometime next week.
PLEA CHANGE IN UNDERAGE SEX CASE
NEW PHILADELPHIA - A Dover man arrested through a sting operation on underage sex charges is now admitting guilt in the case. 48-year old Darrin Troyer was accused of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year old that began through online conversations which were eventually monitored by detectives. Troyer changed his plea to guilty Monday in Tuscarawas County Common Pleas Court to the charges including unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. Assistant Prosecutor Amanda Miller says she will recommend Troyer receive four years in prison, with early release possible after 30 months, after consulting with the victim’s family and reviewing similar cases. Sentencing is set for October 15th.
FOOD FIGHT HIGHLIGHTS MONTH-LONG DRIVE
MIDAVALE - Twin City community officials say a local school rivalry could help benefit the hungry during the second annual “922 Food Fight.” Event organizer Kathy Norman says the competition collects non-perishable food and cash donations during the Indian Valley-Claymont football game this Friday to donate to the Twin City Food Pantry. Norman says the fight against hunger hits close to home with 25% of Tuscarawas County families considered food insecure. She says the food drive has become a good learning experience for students. The overall food drive began last week and will continue through September 18th with donations accepted at the First National Bank of Dennison and both fire stations in Uhrichsville and Dennison.
AIRPORT UPGRADES TAKE FLIGHT
NEW PHILADELPHIA – Harry Clever Field officials are enjoying recent upgrades while planning for hangar expansions. Airport Commission chair Don Kennedy says the main hangar was repainted after years of peeling. He says the outside was also lettered with the airport frequency and the name of the city to benefit pilots. In addition, he says 38 airplanes are currently housed there, but requests could easily fill 15 new spots.
PRACTICE SESSION NETS EXPOSURE AND ADVICE
NEW PHILADELPHIA – Tuscarawas County economic development officials say they are pleased with the feedback from a national consulting firm that listened to a mock site selection presentation by local business leaders. Tuscarawas County CIC director Gary Little says the day-long practice session provided area officials with helpful advice, including an incentive to work on attracting bigger companies than originally thought, but he says it also informed the company about what the area has to offer.
CLARK SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT PAROLE
COSHOCTON - A Dennison man is spending the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole for killing a Strasburg couple in January. 30-year-old Bobby Clark of Dennison pleaded guilty in Coshocton County Common Pleas Court Friday to kidnapping Doyle and Lillian Chumney from their home and driving them to rural Bakersville where he shot them and eventually set their car on fire. Clark spoke only to answer Judge Robert Batchelor’s questions. Batchelor also dismissed eight other charges from Clark’s original indictment and removed the possibility of a death penalty. Coshocton County Prosecutor Jason Given says the Chumney’s children unanimously agreed to the change of plea and indictment amendments. Strasburg Police Chief Bob Kutcher says this tragedy will never fade from the minds of Strasburg residents. The trial of Clark’s alleged accomplice, 22-year-old Jeff Stewart, is scheduled for December. He faces life in prison.
MAN CHARGED IN CHILD’S DEATH
NEW PHILADELPHIA - Tuscarawas County Sheriff’s detectives say a man who was babysitting a toddler Sunday is now charged in connection to the child’s death. Prosecutors say 23-year-old Cody Dawes of New Philadelphia faces two counts of child endangering and remains held in the Tuscarawas County jail on $500,000 bond. Chief Deputy Orvis Campbell says 3-year-old Kyli Thomas was pronounced dead Tuesday afternoon and was being kept on life support for possible organ donation. Campbell says doctors dispute the several conflicting stories about how the child was injured at her 8th Drive NE home. County Prosecutor Ryan Styer says Dawes’ charges could change as the process moves forward. Styer says Dawes was arrested two weeks ago for domestic violence against the child’s mother and was ordered to have no contact with her but was allegedly staying at her home when the incident occurred. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.
FATHER PLEADS GUILTY TO KILLING SON
AKRON (AP) - An Ohio man has pleaded guilty to stabbing his son to death for trying to evict him for stealing money for drugs. Fifty-three-year-old Kevin Golec entered the plea today in Akron ahead of his trial on aggravated murder charges in the death of 22-year-old Brian Golec at his son's Akron home February 13th. He was subsequently sentenced to 15 years to life in prison.
MAN SENTENCED FOR BITING EAR
TOLEDO (AP) - An Ohio man who bit off part of his wife's lover's ear after finding them in bed together has been sentenced to six months in a correctional treatment center. Forty-year-old Virgil Bates III, of Toledo, must also pay the victim $5,600 and spend four months in a work-release program. He pleaded guilty to aggravated assault this month and was sentenced today.
COUNTY CONSIDERS SELLING WOOD
FREMONT (AP) - County leaders in northwestern Ohio are considering selling wood recovered during the restoration of a covered bridge. The wood is from the 164-year-old Mull Covered Bridge in Sandusky County near Fremont. County Engineer Jim Moyer tells The News-Messenger the wood is piece of local history.
JURY DELIBERATES ON WHITE SUPREMACIST
OLATHE, Kan. (AP) - The jury is deliberating the fate of a white supremacist who admitted fatally shooting three people last year at two Kansas City-area Jewish sites. Before jurors got the case, defendant Frazier Miller - who is representing himself - delivered a rambling closing argument in which he described "floating on a cloud" after the killings. The Missouri man said he was motivated by what he called "the genocide against white people by Jews" and urged jurors to "show great courage" by finding him not guilty. If convicted, he could face the death penalty.
BOMB PLOTTER SENTENCED
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - A Kansas man who plotted a suicide bomb attack at a Wichita airport has been sentenced to 20 years in prison. Terry Loewen apologized today during his sentencing to his family for the pain he had caused them. The Wichita man pleaded guilty in June to attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction. The avionics technician was arrested during an undercover operation in December 2013 when he tried to bring a van filled with inert explosives onto the tarmac at Mid-Continent Airport.
CLINTON EMAILS TO BE RELEASED
WASHINGTON (AP) - The State Department is expected to release roughly 7,000 pages of former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's emails later today, including about 150 that have been censored because they contain information that has now been deemed classified. Department officials say the redacted information was classified in preparation for the public release of the emails and was not identified as classified when Clinton sent or received them.
MLB: Cleveland Indians 9 - LA Angels 2. Off the field, a person familiar with the decision tells The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Indians president Mark Shapiro is leaving the team to take the same job with the Toronto Blue Jays. Shapiro has been with Cleveland since 1992. He will replace Paul Beeston, Toronto's CEO and president who is retiring. The teams will make the announcement today. Indians owner Paul Dolan is looking for a minority investment partner for his franchise. Dolan has had primary control of the Indians since 2013. He hired a New York-based investment broker several months ago to help him find a minority owner for the ball club.
TONIGHT: Clear and humid, low 68
TUESDAY: Mostly sunny and humid, high 85
WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy, high 88
HEAR COMPLETE NEWSCASTS ON 1450 AND
THE VOICE OF THE VALLEY FOR 65 YEARS